With La Font Voltada, from the Abadia de Poblet winery, we have recovered a heritage of ancestral elaboration that takes us to the first vinifications in which the whole bunch was used. We have investigated how these bottles last and remain in time with all the virtues of a fresh and lively wine. La Font Voltada is one of Trepat's oldest vineyards located in the Conca de Barberà, between Sarral and Montbrió de la Marca, and which gives its name to this fine wine with a very present fruit note.
Abadia de Poblet is the only winery in Cataluña to be located within a historic monument designated a World Heritage site. It brings together the winemaking tradition of the Cistercian monks from Burgundy with the knowledge of the Conca de Barberà, an area that has maintained the cultivation of native varieties. The philosophy behind the Monastery’s wines, which revive the use of local varieties (Trepat, Garrut and Grenache), is that they transmit the characteristics of the grapes that they are made from and the terroir in which they have been grown.
Our intention with this wine was to retrieve an age-old winemaking heritage, which takes us back to early winemaking where the bunches are left whole.
Our intention with this wine was to retrieve an age-old winemaking heritage, which takes us back to early winemaking where the bunches are left whole. Our research has shown that these bottles, made using this system, last and maintain all the virtues of a vivacious and fresh wine over time. The grapes was harvested in the third week of October in small bins and then fermented with 100% of the pomace in small concrete vats, imitating the characteristic peak temperature of fermentations during the last century, without added yeasts. After that the wine was aged for 14 months in 600-litre barrels that had been used more than once.
La Font Voltada is one of the oldest Trepat vineyards in the Conca de Barberà. The existing vines were planted in 1915.
La Font Voltada is a vineyard located in the Conca de Barberà between Sarral and Montbrió de la Marca, on a small plain with terraces facing in different directions. Clay-limy soil, it is in the shape of an amphitheatre with an east facing and west facing side and the middle facing south. The lowest part of the vineyard is 550 metres above sea level whereas the highest is 600 metres. It is one of the oldest Trepat vineyards in the Conca. The existing vines were planted in 1915.